Join Our Team
Director of Economic Democracy
Full Time – Brooklyn, New York
We currently have an excellent opportunity for a Director, Economic Democracy, to coordinate and advance an initiative of Brooklyn Communities Collaborative, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing an anchor mission in Brooklyn. This initiative aims to strengthen economic democracy and education to build health and wealth through workforce training, education programs, and incubation of worker-owned and minority/women-owned businesses to supply anchor institutions. You will share our passion for working collaboratively to advance health and well-being across Brooklyn, strong work ethic, and have a demonstrated track record of executing multiple complex work streams simultaneously.
- Engaging key stakeholders in the healthcare industry, including employers, higher education, labor unions, and CBOs to launch the Health Enterprise Hub, a borough-wide regional health-focused workforce development and enterprise ecosystem to identify and meet the workforce needs of anchor institutions, and promote efforts to redirect the supply chain to benefit the local economy, particularly in Brooklyn neighborhoods
- Developing enterprises with a focus on MWBEs and worker-owned cooperatives to meet the needs of anchor institutions and to foster minority-owned entrepreneurship within the local community, building of a detailed analysis of healthcare market and anchor procurement needs, the engagement of procurement officials to help identify priorities, and completion of a detailed market analysis
- Developing a workforce training plan
- Identifying existing training opportunities with CUNY and workforce development programs
- Helping to secure funds by assisting engagement with potential funders and investors (e.g., philanthropy, union pension funds)
- Bachelor’s degree and/or relevant Master’s degree (e.g., urban planning, business, public administration, economics, etc.) is preferred, or at least four years’ experience as an owner/ entrepreneur.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing teams or projects and broad sets of diverse stakeholders from within a structured organizational setting required
- Knowledge of either healthcare supply chains and/or worker-owned cooperative development
- Experience both channeling community voice into tangible action and working closely with senior decision-makers
- Experience managing grants or investments preferred
- Demonstrated business acumen (experience incubating/growing successful businesses)
- Close ties to Brooklyn communities directly affected by economic inequity
- Superior analytical abilities; strong communications skills;
- ability to thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment.
Excellent benefits. Director, Economic Democracy, for immediate consideration, please forward a resume or CV to: Shari Suchoff, SSuchoff@maimonidesmed.org